Although options trading can be a risky investment strategy, it can come with many benefits if you play your cards right. When getting into options, you should familiarize yourself with some concepts and terms in order to fully assess your risk. Let’s learn a bit more about options trading and how to make successful choices.
Options Trading Defined
Options trading is the process of buying or selling options, which are contracts that give you the right to buy or sell a stock at a set price on or before a predetermined expiration date. You are under no obligation to buy or sell when you reach the ending date.
There are two kinds of options contracts: pull and call. Pull options contracts are when you have the right to sell a stock. Call options contracts are when you have the right to buy a stock.
Why You Should Trade Options
When you correctly predict that a stock will rise or fall, you can earn a significant payout with options trading. If you expect the price of a stock to fall, it’s wise to opt for a pull options contract. You may be able to sell your stock for a higher price than it’s worth. Likewise, if you expect a stock’s price to increase, investing in a call options contract may allow you to buy a stock for a price lower than it’s worth.
Keep in mind that similar to stocks, mutual funds, and other underlying assets, options come with a risk. That’s why you need to weigh your risks before making any decisions.
4 Options Trading Tips
Image via Flickr by homegets.com
In order to have more successful trading experiences, follow these tips:
- Get to know the Greeks. Named after Greek letters, delta, gamma, theta, and vega, they can help you measure the risk of an options contract.
- Delta: Impact of an underlying asset’s change of price.
- Gamma: Delta’s rate of change.
- Theta: Impact of a change in time remaining.
- Vega: Impact of a change in volatility.
- Find a broker you trust. Before opening an options trading account, screen multiple brokers to find one that you feel confident about. A quality broker will provide you with all of the resources, research, support, and guidance you need to make smart investments.
- Determine the goal of your portfolio. Whether you’re looking for a steady income or sudden growth, it’s important to base your portfolio around these goals. Adding options is a great way to enhance your portfolio, especially if you play your odds right.
- Be patient. As an options trader, you may experience big wins and big losses. It’s important that you continue to make smart trades and be willing to wait on them. Avoid always being an active trader or you may miss out on some big wins. Waiting for a stock to rise or fall may work in your favor.
By following these options trading tips, you can learn more about your options contracts and make smarter decisions. The first step to being a successful investor is educating yourself.